The son of a merchant from Patra, Thomopoulos left Corfu at the age of thirteen – a decision made by his father – to continue his schooling at the ‘Kapodistrias’ Institute, where he took his first lessons in painting from tutors S. Platsaio and S. Pizani. Three years later he departed for Naples, where he attended the Academy of Fine Arts (Accademia di Belle Arti) from 1896 to 1899; his teachers were D. Morelli and F. Palizzi and it was at this academy that Thomopoulos received several awards. He continued on at the Accademia di Belle Arti in Rome (1899-1900) with instructors F. Jacovacci and A. Mancini.
In 1901 until 1903, he settled in Venice, resuming his studies at the Academy under L. Nono, also taking lessons in mural painting (frescoes) with instructor Piaziate. For years, he was a professor at the School of Fine Arts in Athens, becoming the director of the school for one year (1948-1949). In 1945, he was elected a member of the Academy of Athens; in 1962, he was appointed president of said institution.
Most of Thomopoulos’s works were inspired by nature. At the beginning of the 20th Century, at a time when artistic trends were mainly influenced by overseas tendencies, Thomopoulos’s paintings were not just the depiction of idyllic scenes of the Greek countryside but echo an era of reflection on what it was to be Greek – a time of national self-awareness. Many of these works hang in the City Hall of Patras and the National Gallery of Greece. In 1929, he was commissioned by the Municipality of Patras to create 16 oil paintings that were placed in the hall of the Municipal Council as well as the Mayor’s office. Thomopoulos had many students, who later went on to become famous painters themselves, such as Nikos Gaitis and Giannis Spyropoulos.
Epaminondas Thomopoulos, Shepherd with Flock in a Field, ca 1950, Oil on canvas, 32 x 42 cm